Thursday 16 April 2009

Gout


in here about four weeks
terrible state I was in
gout
knees are totally useless
getting out of bed
wife standing by
she couldn’t stop me flying
had to get paramedics
help me to stand up
gentle slide to the floor
didn’t bother me
knew I’d get up one day
wife not strong enough to get me up
(amazing how strong she is)
she was calm
‘if you go down
I’m not going to get you up’
just slide
gout
inflammation of the blood stream
into the legs
try to pump them out
put a tube down the leg
and suck on it
not painful
lack of power
most difficult getting to the toilet

and diabetes
for four days
so no sugar on my wheatabix
wheatabix without sugar kind of dead

didn’t like it at all
like my bounty bar
couldn’t have them
do a test
if it comes up plus
they tell you
‘good Lord that’s high’
nothing I can do about it


Gerald (Gerry) Manley
31st October 2008


Photo © Lois Blackburn 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment